• Our new President would become reviled for not getting us out of Viet Nam quick enough and getting into something called Watergate.
• American Hero Neil Armstrong set foot on the moon.
• Automatic Teller Machines (ATM’s) premier in New York
• Sen. Kennedy was involved in Chapaquidick.
• Police forces in the United States crackdown on student protests.
FADS and ENTERTAINMENT
• MOVIES: “Easy Rider”, “Midnight Cowboy” and “Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid”
• T.V.: “Laugh In” “Gunsmoke” “Mayberry R.F.D” and “Bonanza”
• Near Bethel, New York, the first mega-concert, the Woodstock Music Festival took place August 15-18. Claims of up to one million people came;
• Donald and Doris Fisher opened their clothing store,. The Gap, in San Francisco.
• Public Broadcasting Service (PBS) Established.
• The Beatles would perform live for the last time on a London rooftop.
• Judy Garland (overdose)
• The Manson “Family” committed a series of murders, under the influence of Charles Manson’s “Helter Skelter” philosophy. One of the victims was Sharon Tate and her unborn child.
• Boris Karloff
• Brian Jones drowned
• This song was originally released as a single on 11 April 1969 and credited to “the Beatles with Billy Preston.” It was the Beatles’ only single that credited another artist at their request.
• Billy Preston was recruited by George Harrison partly with a view to deter bickering among the Beatles
• A different mix of the song later became the closing track of Let It Be, which was the Beatles’ last album released just after the group split.
• The single version was later issued on CD on the second disc of the Past Masters compilation.
• It was first single released in true stereo in the US by the fab four.
• Here are the Beatles with “Get Back”…Your #1 @ 1 from May 1969.