50 WAYS TO LEAVE YOUR LOVER – Paul Simon
#1 February 7, 1976
- The country was celebrating its 200th birthday.
- Jimmy Carter was elected as the 39th President of the United States and was the recipient of the 2002 Nobel Peace Prize, the only U.S. President to have received the Prize after leaving office.
- Apple Computer became a company.
- Viking 2 gave us the first color pictures of Mars.
- The Tiananmen Square protests take place in China.
- Patty Hearst was found guilty of Bank Robbery.
- It was the summer of the “Son of Sam” in NYC. (The case was reopened in 1996 and, as of 2004, it was still considered open.)
FADS and ENTERTAINMENT
- MOVIES: “Rocky” “Carrie” & “The Omen”
- Deep Purple & Grand Funk disband.
- IBM introduces the first Laser printer.
- 1976 was an Olympic year. celebrated in Montreal, Quebec, Canada. These Games have been the only Summer Olympics held in Canada.
- Chairman Mao: (December 26, 1893 – September 9, 1976)
- Percy Faith: (April 7, 1908 – February 9, 1976)
- J. Paul Getty, Sr.: (December 15, 1892 – June 6, 1976)
- Written after Simon's divorce from first wife Peggy Harper, the song is a mistress's humorous advice to a husband on ways to end a relationship.
- From his album Still Crazy After All These Years.
- Backing vocals on the single were performed by Patti Austin, Valerie Simpson and Phoebe Snow.
- Paul Simon “50 Ways to Leave Your Lover”
- The Number 1 at 1 from February 1976.