• President Jimmy Carter O.K’d a bailout of Chrysler Corporation
• Mount St. Helen’s in Washington State erupted, killing 57 and causing over $3 billion in damage.
• Ronald Regan would become the 40th President of the United States
• The “Miracle on Ice” took place during the Winter Olympics in Lake Placid, New York.
• Fire Destroys the MGM Grand Hotel in Las Vegas
• The Killer Clown ( John Wayne Gacy Jr ) sentenced to death for the murder of 33 boys and young men
FADS and ENTERTAINMENT
• MOVIES: “9 To 5” “Empire Strikes Back” “Stir Crazy” & “Airplane”
• T.V.: “Dukes of Hazzard”,“The Love Boat” and “Dallas.” Millions of viewers tune into the TV soap opera Dallas to learn who shot lead character J.R. Ewing.
• Everybody displayed a Yellow Ribbon in support of the hostages in Iran.
• The shooting of former Beatle John Lennon.
• Led Zeppelin announced they couldn’t go on after drummer John Bonham’s death.
• The Rubiks Cube and Magna doodle were the popular kids toys.
• Some were reading The Official Preppy Handbook to stay in with the latest trends
• John Lennon: Oct 9, 1940 Dec 8,1980
• John Bonham: May 31, 1948 Sep 24, 1980
• Steve McQueen: Mar 24,1930 Nov 7, 1980
• Jimmy Durante: Feb10, 1893 Jan20, 1980
• Alfred Hitchcock: Aug 13, 1899 April 29,1980
• "Another Brick in the Wall" is the title of three songs set to variations of the same basic theme.
• Part 2 (working title "Education.") Part II is a protest song against rigid schooling in general and boarding schools in the UK in particular. It was also released as a single and provided the band's only number-one hit.
• The chorus came from a school in England and was chosen because it close to the studio. It was made up of 23 kids and they were overdubbed 12 times making it sound like there were many more.
• All parts were written by Pink Floyd's bassist, Roger Waters.
• Another Brick in the Wall Part II is number 375 on Rolling Stone's list of "The 500 Greatest Songs of All Time"
• Your #1 @ 1 from March of 1980 Pink Floyd and “Another Brick In The Wall Part 2”