• President Jimmy Carter O.k.’s a bailout of Chrysler Corporation
• Mount St. Helen’s in Washington State erupted, killing 57 and causing over $3 billion in damage.
• Ronald Regan would become the 40th President of the United States and Time Magazine’s Man of the Year.
• The “Miracle on Ice” took place during the Winter Olympics in Lake Placid, New York.
• Fire Destroys the MGM Grand Hotel in Las Vegas
FADS and ENTERTAINMENT
• MOVIES: “9 To 5” “Empire Strikes Back” “Stir Crazy” & “Airplane”
• T.V.: “Dukes of Hazzard”, “The Love Boat” and “Dallas.” Millions of viewers tune into the TV soap opera Dallas to learn who shot lead character J.R. Ewing.
• Everybody displayed a Yellow Ribbon in support of the hostages in Iran.
• The shooting of former Beatle John Lennon.
• Led Zeppelin announced they couldn’t go on after drummer John Bonham’s death.
• The Rubik’s Cube and Magna doodle were the popular kid’s toys.
• Some were reading The Official Preppy Handbook to stay in with the latest trends
• John Lennon: Oct 9, 1940 Dec 8,1980
• John Bonham: May 31, 1948 Sep 24, 1980
• Steve McQueen: Mar 24,1930 Nov 7, 1980
• Jimmy Durante: Feb10, 1893 Jan20, 1980
• Alfred Hitchcock: Aug 13, 1899 April 29,1980
• This song is on the group's eighth studio album The Game.
• The song is credited as Queen's best selling single with sales of over 7 million copies.
• The bass line was inspired by the song "Good Times" by the disco group Chic.
• In the early 1980s, this song was one of many popular rock songs that Christian evangelists alleged contained subliminal messages through a technique called backward masking. They claimed that the chorus, when played in reverse, has a drug related message. The label has been denied that the song contains a backward message.
• It won the award for Favorite Pop/Rock Single at the American Music Awards in 1981.
• Here’s Queen with “Another One Bites The Dust Your #1 @ 1 from October of 1980