BENNIE & THE JETS – Elton John
#1 April 14th, 1974
- Nixon refused to pony up 500 tapes pertaining to Watergate and then proclaimed that “One year of Watergate was enough”
- The Energy Crisis became so bad that the country went on Daylight Savings Time 4 months early!
- G. Gordon Liddy is found guilty of the Watergate break-ins.
FADS and ENTERTAINMENT
- MOVIE: Chinatown, Sugarland Express & Blazing Saddles.
- T.V.: “Happy Days” “Rhoda” & “Chico & the Man” .
- Universal Product Code or “UPC” code is scanned for the first time to buy a pack of gum
- The “Rumble in the Jungle” between Mohammed Ali & George Frazier
- “High Times” & “People” magazines begin publishing.
- Hank Aaron breaks Babe Ruth’s record of 714 home runs.
- Streaking was the #1 fad in 1974.
- Ed Sullivan,
- Jack Benny
- Mama Cass
- From the Goodbye Yellow Brick Road album.
- Elton John was set against releasing "Bennie and the Jets" on side one of the Goodbye Yellow Brick Road album, and was against releasing it as a single, believing it would fail.
- The acceptance of "Bennie" on R&B radio helped land Elton John, a huge soul music fan, a guest appearance on the May 17, 1975, edition of Soul Train,
- It would be from an album that would be considered by critics this artist’s “Magnum Opus” and it was a “must have” when it came out.
- Elton John. Here’s “Bennie & The Jets” your #1 @ 1 from April 1974