• Nixon refused to pony up 500 tapes pertaining to Watergate and then proclaimed that “One year of Watergate was enough”
• The Energy Crisis became so bad that the country went on Daylight Savings Time 4 months early!
• G. Gordon Liddy is found guilty of the Watergate break-ins.
FADS and ENTERTAINMENT
• MOVIE: Chinatown, Sugarland Express & Blazing Saddles.
• T.V.: “Happy Days” “Rhoda” & “Chico & the Man” .Universal Product Code or “UPC” code is scanned for the first time to buy a pack of gum
• The “Rumble in the Jungle” between Mohammed Ali & George Frazier
• “High Times” & “People” magazines begin publishing.
• Hank Aaron breaks Babe Ruth’s record of 714 home runs.
• Streaking was the #1 fad in 1974.
• Ed Sullivan,
• Jack Benny
• Mama Cass
• From the Goodbye Yellow Brick Road album.
• Elton wrote the music to this song as a homage to "Glam Rock,"
• Elton's producer wanted a live feel on this recording, so he mixed in crowd noise from a show Elton played in 1972 at Royal Festival Hall. He also included a series of whistles hand claps and various shouts.
• It would be from an album that would be considered by critics this artist’s “Magnum Opus” and it was a “must have” when it came out.
• Elton did not think this would be a hit. He was shocked when it went to #1 in America.
• Here’s Elton John. With “Bennie & The Jets” your #1 @ 1 from April 1974