• The space shuttle Enterprise, sitting atop a Boeing 747, went on its maiden flight above the Mojave Desert
• Jimmy Carter was sworn in as the 39th President of the United States
• Gary Gilmore becomes first person executed in United States since 1967.
• British Airways introduces a regular supersonic Concorde service between London and New York City.
• Apple introduces the Apple II computer.
FADS and ENTERTAINMENT
• MOVIES: “Close Encounters of the Third Kind” “Star Wars” “Annie Hall” and “Saturday Night Fever”.
• TV: “Happy Days” “All In The Family” “Little House On The Prarie” and “Charlies Angels”
• Seattle Slew won the Triple Crown!
• Fleetwood Mac's Grammy-winning album Rumours is released.
• Volkswagen squashed the Beetle in this country while, at the same time, giving birth to a Rabbit.
• We were busy playing with the Atari 2600 Console, Star Wars Toys, Chai Pets, Slime, Skateboards.
• The hot fashion icons were: Farrah Fawcett, Cheryl Tiegs, Iman, and Christie Brinkley
• A plane crash in Mississippi with members of Lynyrd Skynyrd on board kills Ronnie Van Zant, Steve Gaines, Cassie Gaines, assistant road manager Dean Kilpatrick, pilot Walter McCreary and co-pilot William Gray.
• Elvis Presley: January 8, 1935 – August 16, 1977
• Groucho Marx: October 2, 1890– August 19, 1977
• This song can be found on their album The Roaring Silence.
• It was written and originally recorded by Bruce Springsteen, although it is mostly known by its Manfred Mann's version .
• They changed several lyrics, including changing “cut loose like a deuce” to “revved up like a deuce,” which results in one of the most notorious mis-heard lyrics in rock history.
• At the time, Manfred Mann's Earth Band set a Hot 100 record, for the group with the longest time between #1 hits. They previously had hit #1 with Do Wah Diddy Diddy in 1964.
• Here’s Manfred Mann’s Earth Band with ”Blinded by the Light” your #1@1 from February.