• Four students at Kent State University in Ohio are killed and 9 wounded by Ohio State National Guardsmen.
• Richard Nixon signs the Public Health Cigarette Smoking Act into law, banning cigarette television advertisements in the United States.
• The voting age is lowered to 18.
• Apollo 13 has problems and returns to Earth after 4 days in space.
• The Concord made its 1st supersonic flight.
• A gallon of gas cost 35 cents.
• The 1st Earth Day took place
FADS and ENTERTAINMENT
• MOVIES: “Mash” “Patton” & “5 Easy Pieces”
• T.V.: “Marcus Welby, M.D,” “The Flip Wilson Show” and “Here’s Lucy”
“All My Children” debuts on daytime T.V. and Monday Night Football premiers.
• The Beatles announce their official breakup, as does Blind Faith.
• Project Bluebook was the U.S. government's study on UFOs from 1952 through 1970. A 14 part report was issued, but chapter 13 was mysteriously missing. It still is.
• Jimi Hendrix
• Janis Joplin
• This song's recording process exposed many of the underlying tensions that eventually led to the breakup of the duo after the album's completion.
• It was ranked number 47 on Rolling Stone's 500 Greatest Songs of All Time.
• The single won the Grammy Award for Record of the Year and Song of the Year in the Grammy Awards of 1971, with its album also winning several awards in the same year.
• This song has been covered by Elvis, Aretha Franklin, Willie Nelson, Bon Jovi, Elton John just to name a few.
• It stayed at the top of the chart for six weeks.
• Here’s Simon & Garfunkel with “Bridge Over Troubled Water” your Number 1 at 1 from February 1970.