• Wayne Williams (Atlanta murders of 1979-1981) is convicted of the murdering two children and is sentenced to two consecutive life terms.
• Ma Bell would be broken up.
• A rally against nuclear weapons draws 750,000 to New York City's Central Park. Jackson Browne, James Taylor, Bruce Springsteen, and Linda Ronstadt attend.
• Great Britain & Argentina were fighting in the Falkland Islands.
• The Poisoned Tylenol scare.
• Chrysler “K” car saved the company
FADS and ENTERTAINMENT
• MOVIES: “Tootsie”, “E.T.” “Tron” and “Blade Runner”
• T.V.: “The Weather Channel” and “MTV” debuted.
• Larry Walters, a.k.a. Lawn Chair Larry, flies 16,000 feet above Long Beach, California in a lawn chair with weather balloons attached.
• The Commodore 64 personal computer was introduced.
• Chicken McNuggets introduced
• Diet Coke was new.
• John Belushi (O.D.)
• Henry Fonda
• Formed in 1967 in Worcester, Massachusetts
• The band started as an acoustic blues trio in the mid 1960s.
• On August 17, 1971, at a show in the Boston Common, The Allman Brothers Band named The J. Geils Band as their favorite local band. Both bands later played the last show at the Fillmore East, before it closed.
• “Centerfold” from The J. Geils Band your #1@1 from February 1982.