• Exxon Valdez struck a reef spilling millions of gallons of oil into Prince William Sound.
• Oliver North Is Convicted In Iran "Contra" Affair.
• The US Government provides a $150 billion bailout for hundreds of saving and loan associations.
• George H.W. Bush became the 41st President.
• After 30 years the Cold War between East and West ends following the Malta conference and the Berlin Wall comes down
FADS and ENTERTAINMENT
• MOVIES: “Batman,” “Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade,” “Lethal Weapon 2,” “Look Who’s Talking” & “Driving Miss Daisy” were on the big screen.
• TV: “The Cosby Show”, “Rosanne”, “Cheers”, “Family Matters”
• Nintendo introduces us to “Game Boy”
• The Energizer Bunny was introduced to replace gymnast Mary Lou Retton as the energetic battery spokesperson.
• Toyota launches its luxury brand the Lexus
• Yugo Cars go bankrupt, Ford buys Jaguar
• Allegations that Major League Baseball star Pete Rose gambled on the Game became public.
• Lucille Ball: August 6, 1911 – April 26, 1989 She posthumously received the Presidential Medal of Freedom
• Gilda Radner: June 28, 1946 – May 20, 1989 part of the original cast of the NBC sketch comedy series Saturday Night Live, for which she won an Emmy Award. She posthumously won a Grammy for "Best Spoken Word Or Non-Musical Recording" in 1990.
• This is found on the In Step album the fourth studio album by Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble.
• This was Stevie's first album after he stopped drinking, and is dedicated to sobriety.
• The album title is a reference to the 12 step program for alcoholics. The songs on the album refer to the pressures of life that lead to alcohol abuse, but show how you can still rock out even when you are sober.
• Tommy Shannon, Chris Layton and Reese Wynans, all of whom were members of Vaughan's band Double Trouble, also got a songwriting credit on this track.
• This song was number one on the Billboard Mainstream rock hits chart for 3 weeks.
• Here’s Stevie Ray Vaughan & Double Trouble with “Crossfire” Your #1 at 1 from July 1989.