• President Regan signed legislation making the 3rd Monday in January MLK Day.
• Crack cocaine started to make its way out of the Bahamas to our shores.
• The Fed would come up with the slogan “Just Say No”.
• US Bell System is broken up
• The Space Shuttle Discovery takes off on its maiden voyage. (August 30)
FADS and ENTERTAINMENT
• MOVIES: “Beverly Hills Cop”, “Ghostbusters”, “Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom”
• T.V.: “Dallas” “Dynasty” and “Knots Landing”.
• Trivial Pursuit and Rubik’s Cube were the challenges of the day.
• Nintendo games would be hooked up to TV’s in living rooms across America.
• Boom Boxes became the electronic device of choice.
• Saying “Radical” “Wicked” or “Kickin’” made you hip!
• Stone washed jeans & leg warmers were in.
• The first “Hooters” is opened in Clearwater, Florida.
• Karen Carpenter
• Dennis Wilson of the Beach Boys
• Muddy Waters
• From the album Synchronicity
• Sting won Song of the Year and The Police won Best Pop Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocal at the Grammy Awards of 1984.
• The song was written during the collapse of Sting's marriage to Frances Tomelty; the lyrics are the words of a sinister, controlling character, who is watching "every breath you take; every move you make".
• The song had a music video (directed by duo Godley & Creme) that was praised for its black-and-white cinematography.
• Both MTV and VH1 named it as one of the best music videos ever, placing it 16th and 33rd in their respective top 100 lists.
• Daniel Pearl won the first MTV cinematography award for his work on the video.
• The Police with “Every Breath You Take”, your #1 @ 1 from July 1984.