GOOD LOVIN’ – Young Rascals
#1 April 30th, 1966
• Indira Gandhi is named the Prime Minister of India.
• Scientists cracked our genetic code
• Miranda v. Arizona: The Supreme Court of the United States rules that the police must inform suspects of their rights before questioning them.
• Lyndon Johnson signs the 1966 Uniform Time Act, dealing with daylight saving time he also signs the Freedom of Information Act, which goes into effect the following year.
• The National Organization for Women (NOW) is founded in Washington, DC
• Sniper Charles Whitman kills 13 people and wounds 31 from atop the University of Texas at Austin Main Building tower, after earlier killing his wife and mother.
FADS and ENTERTAINMENT
• MOVIES: “Born Free”, “Grand Prix” & “The Ghost and Mr. Chicken”.
• T.V.: “Star Trek”, “Batman” “Dark Shadows”and“ How the Grinch Stole Christmas”(Narrated by Boris Karloff, is shown for the first time on CBS, becoming an annual Christmas tradition.)
• The album Pet Sounds by The Beach Boys is released.
• Bob Dylan's album, Blonde on Blonde is released in the U.S.
• The National Hockey League expands to twelve teams.
• John Lennon proclaimed that the Beatles were “More popular than Jesus”
• Kwanza is celebrated for the first time.
• Walt Disney
• Lenny Bruce
• The Rascals' first television performance was on the program Hullabaloo in February 1965.
• The song was first recorded in 1965 by R&B/novelty artists The Olympics, but was only moderately successful.
• Felix Cavaliere heard it on a New York City radio station and the group added it to their concert repertoire.
• Ranked number 325 on Rolling Stone's 500 Greatest Songs of All Time list.
• The song has since been performed and recorded by a number of artists, including Tommy James and the Shondells (1966), Herbie Mann (1966), The Who (1965), and The Grateful Dead made it a workhorse of their concert rotation,
• The Young Rascals and “Good Lovin’” the #1@1 from April 1966.