• U.S. President Lyndon B. Johnson signs the Civil Rights Act .
• Police battled protesters at the Democratic Convention in Chicago.
• We saw the first live broadcast from the moon as Apollo 8 circled above.
• North Korea grabbed one of our warships.
• Apollo 8 Astronauts (William Anders, Frank Borman, and Jim Lovell) were on the cover of Time Magazine.
• Gas was 25 cents a gallon.
FADS and ENTERTAINMENT
• MOVIE: “2001 Space Odyssey” “Planet of the Apes” & “The Graduate”
• T.V.: “Laugh-In”, “Bonanza” and “Gomer Pyle”
• “Led Zeppelin would play live for the first time at Surrey University in England.
• Cream played for the last time at Royal Albert hall.
• Allen K Breed invents an air bag that deploys and inflates automatically on violent impact using nitrogen gas.
• The first Big Mac goes on sale in McDonalds costing 49 cents.
• Reverend Martin Luther King was assassinated by James Earl Ray.
• Senator Robert F. Kennedy was assassinated by Sirhan Sirhan.
• Frankie Lymon, Ex-Teenagers singer, is found dead from a heroin overdose in Harlem.
• Though the songwriting credit is Lennon–McCartney, it was written solely by Paul McCartney.
• One of the notable features in the song is Ringo Starr's busy drumming.
• Three promotional films were made for the song one of the films was screened on The Ed Sullivan Show on November 26th two days after it was released as a single.
• McCartney gave an explanation of its meaning in an interview, "The answer to everything is simple. It's a song about everything and nothing. If you have black you have to have white. That's the amazing thing about life."
• In the US, Capitol Records omitted the comma in the song’s title in the packaging of the single and also on the Magical Mystery Tour LP.
• It spent 3 weeks in the Number 1 spot.
• John Lennon was not impressed with the popularity of the song, saying, "'I Am the Walrus' was the B side to 'Hello, Goodbye, "Can you believe it?"
• Here are The Beatles with “Hello, Goodbye” your # 1 @ 1 from December 1967.