• U.S. President Lyndon B. Johnson signs the Civil Rights Act.
• Police battled protesters at the Democratic Convention in Chicago.
• We saw the first live broadcast from the moon as Apollo 8 circled above.
• North Korea grabbed one of our warships.
• Apollo 8 Astronauts (William Anders, Frank Borman, and Jim Lovell) were on the cover of Time Magazine.
• Gas was 25 cents a gallon.
FADS and ENTERTAINMENT
• MOVIE: “2001 Space Odyssey” “Planet of the Apes” & “The Graduate”
• T.V.: “Laugh-In”, “Bonanza” and “Gomer Pyle”
• “Led Zeppelin would play live for the first time at Surrey University in England.
• Cream played for the last time at Royal Albert hall.
• Allen K Breed invents an air bag that deploys and inflates automatically on violent impact using nitrogen gas.
• The first Big Mac goes on sale in McDonalds costing 49 cents.
• Reverend Martin Luther King was assassinated by James Earl Ray.
• Senator Robert F. Kennedy was assassinated by Sirhan Sirhan.
• Frankie Lymon, Ex-Teenagers singer, is found dead from a heroin overdose in Harlem.
• This is found on the album Waiting for the Sun.
• This album marked keyboardist Ray Manzarek's transition from a Vox Continental to Gibson G-101, the organ he is best known for playing live.
• Jim Morrison wrote this in 1965 after seeing a beautiful woman walking on the beach. He thought up the song and wrote it that night. The song was not recorded until 3 years later.
• Robby Krieger has denied the allegations that the song's musical structure was stolen from Ray Davies, where a riff was similar to the Kinks "All Day and All of the Night". Instead, the band admitted they got song's vibe from Cream's "Sunshine of Your Love."
• Krieger ran his guitar through a fuzz box to get a distorted effect like Cream's "Sunshine Of Your Love."
• Here are the Doors with Hello, I Love You, your # 1 @ 1 from August 1968.