• The war in Vietnam continues to worsen, we continue to lose more men. At the same time the Anti-War movement grows in the US.
• President Johnson announces his program to create Medicare and to expand his war on poverty.
• In St. Louis, Missouri, the 630 foot tall parabolic steel Gateway Arch is completed (The St. Louis Arch)
• This was the first year mandated health warnings appeared on cigarette packets and smoking became a no-no.
• There is also civil unrest with rioting, looting and arson in Los Angeles.
FADS and ENTERTAINMENT
• MOVIES: “My Fair Lady” “The Sound of Music ” and “Goldfinger”
• T.V.: Bonanza, Gomer Pyle, The Lucy Show, The Red Skelton Show, Batman
• Guys were wanting to be with Barbara Eden, Diana Rigg, Annette Funicello, Barbara Feldon and Audrey Hepburn
• ABC pays an unprecedented $32 million for a four year contract with the NCAA to broadcast football games on Saturday afternoons.
• Bill Cosby, starring in I Spy, becomes the first African American to headline a tv show.
• Grammys Awarded: “Girl from Ipanema” is the Record of the Year. “Hello Dolly!” is the Song of the Year.
• The latest craze in kids toys was Wham-O’s Super-balls, Skate Boards and Troll Dolls. Games introduced that year were Mystery Date and Rock-em Sock- em Robots.
• Winston Churchill
• Nat King Cole
• T.S. Eliot
• Help served as the title of a song and the title for it’s 1965 soundtrack film.
• Was written by Lennon even though it’s credited to Lennon/McCartney.
• Is ranked number 29 on Rolling Stone’s list of “The 500 Greatest Songs of All Time.”
• It held the number one spot for 3 weeks. It was the fourth of 6 number one singles in a row for the Beatles.
• Group was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1988.
• Here’s “Help” your #1 @ 1 from August 1965.