HONKEY TONK WOMEN – Rolling Stones
#1 – August 23rd, 1969
• Our new President would become reviled for not getting us out of Viet Nam quick enough and getting into something called Watergate.
• The Manson Family commits the Tate-LaBianca Murders.
• Automatic Teller Machines (ATM’s) premier in New York
• Sen. Kennedy was involved in Chapaquidick.
FADS and ENTERTAINMENT
• MOVIES: “Easy Rider”, “Midnight Cowboy” and “Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid”
• T.V.: “Hee-Haw” “Marcus Welby” and “The Brady Bunch” premier.
• Music festivals would take center stage and the granddaddy of them all: Woodstock…3 days of Peace & Music that would stretch to nearly 4, for the nearly half a million flower children there.
• The fashion of the day for women was hip huggers, fishnet hose & midriff tops
• For the guys it was turtlenecks.
• The Beatles would perform live for the last time on a London rooftop
• The finale for the Fab 4 “Abby Road” would be released in the fall of 1969
• Judy Garland
• Boris Karloff
• Ho Chi Minh
• The song was written by Mick Jagger and Keith Richards while on holiday in Brazil from late December 1968 to early January 1969.
• Inspired by Brazilian gauchos at the ranch where Jagger and Richards were staying.
• The song was originally conceived as an acoustic country song. Richards has said: "It was originally written as a real Hank Williams/Jimmie Rogers/1930s country song.
• The song is distinctive as it opens not with a guitar riff, but with a beat played on a cowbell. The Rolling Stones' producer Jimmy Miller performed the cowbell for the recording.
• Honkey Tonk Women from the Rolling Stones…Your #1 @ 1 from August 1969.