• The “War on Poverty” would be declared
• An attack on an American destroyer would begin the Viet Nam war
• Barry Goldwater ran for President.
• US Surgeon General warns against cigarette smoking.
• Nelson Mandela imprisoned in South Africa, for opposing Apartheid.
• Major earthquake ("Good Friday Earthquake") hits Alaska.
FADS and ENTERTAINMENT
• MOVIES: “Bikini Beach”, “Dr. Strangelove”, “My Fair Lady” wins an Oscar
• The Beatles would have a total of 4 #1 songs in 1964, they would receive 8 gold records in 1964.They would appear on the Ed Sullivan show twice!
• “Go-Go Girls” Carol Doda began go-go dancing topless at the Condor Club in San Francisco. She became the world's most famous go-go dancer, dancing at the Condor for 22 years.
• The first “Muscle Car” the Pontiac GTO hits the streets, as does the Ford Mustang.
• We were dancing “The Swim” “The Frug” & “The Watusi” .
• Alan Price of the Animals has claimed that the song was originally a sixteenth-century English folk song about a Soho brothel, and that English emigrants took the song to America where it was adapted to its later New Orleans setting.
• From Newcastle in Northern England, The Animals with “The House of the Rising Sun” your # 1 @ 1 from September 1964.