• U.S. warplanes bombed Hanoi for the first time.
• In the People's Republic of China, Mao Zedong begins the Cultural Revolution to purge and reorganize China's Communist Party.
• Lyndon Johnson signs the 1966 Uniform Time Act. (daylight saving time.)
• We heard of groups called the Black Panthers & the National Organization of Women for the first time.
• Time Magazine’s Man of the Year was : The Generation Twenty-five and Under (Baby Boomers)
FADS and ENTERTAINMENT
• T.V.: “Andy Griffith Show,” Bonanza” and “Bewitched”
• MOVIES: “Thunderball”, “Dr. Zhivago” & “A Man for All Seasons”
• The NFL & AFL finally merged to create one football league
• John Lennon pontificated that the Beatles were “More popular than Jesus” which set off a rash of protests & record burnings here in the U.S
• Color Television sets become popular.
• Pampers create the first disposable Diaper.
• Miranda v. Arizona, the Supreme Court ruled that detained criminal suspects, prior to police questioning, must be informed of their constitutional right to an attorney and against self-incrimination.
• Walt Disney
• This song is composed by Neil Diamond.
• It was recorded by the Monkees in 1966 with lead vocals by Micky Dolenz.
• The single hit the number one spot on the U.S Billboard Hot 100 Chart for the week ending December 31, 1966 and remained there for seven weeks, becoming the last #1 hit of 1966 and the biggest –selling record for all of 1967.
• Contrary to popular belief, the Monkees did perform instrumentally on some of their sessions and provided the lead vocals for all of their recorded efforts. Additionally, Michael Nesmith produced and wrote some of the Monkees’ earliest recordings.
• The TV series debuted on NBC in September of 1966 and ran for 2 seasons (that’s 58 half-hour programs in an 18 month period) The show won 2 Emmy awards.
• Here is The Monkees with “I’m A Believer” your #1 @ 1 from December 1966.