CAN’T FIGHT THIS FEELING – REO Speedwagon
#1 – March 9th, 1985
- Ronald Regan was just starting his second term in office
- Mikhail Gorbachev becomes Soviet leader.
- The Achille Lauro cruise ship is hijacked.
- Leaded Gas is officially banned in the US.
FADS and ENTERTAINMENT
- MOVIES: The 4th installment of “Rocky” hits theaters & Michael J. Fox takes us “Back to the Future”
- T.V.: “MacGyver” and “Growing Pains” premier on T.V
- Nintendo releases the Nintendo Entertainment System in the USA.
- Christi Brinkley married Billy Joel.
- Coca Cola releases “New Coke” but discontinues it after 3 months.
- “Live Aid” was beamed across the world in the hopes of helping eliminate hunger in Ethiopia; it raised $65 million for famine relief efforts.
- David Lee Roth leaves Van Halen and The Police call it quits.
- Pete Rose breaks Ty Cobb's record with his 4,192nd hit.
- For many years Arizona had seen its water diverted to California. In 1985, however, the state acted to bring water from the Colorado River to its own citizens by building the Central Arizona Project.
- Rock Hudson: November 17, 1925 – October 2, 1985
- Yul Brenner: July 11, 1920 – October 10, 1985
- Orson Wells: May 6, 1915 – October 10, 1985
- Phil Silvers: May 11, 1911 – November 1, 1985
- A band that would hone its chops playing cover songs in bars in the late 60’s and early 70’s would hit it big by recording something called a “Power Ballad”.
- REO Speedwagon took its name from the REO Speed Wagon, a flatbed truck and fire engine, manufactured by the REO Motor Car Company.
- It would be the second time for REO Speedwagon to reach the top slot.
- Here’s “Can’t Fight This Feeling”…Your #1 @ 1 from March 1985