(I CAN’T GET NO) SATISFACTION – Rolling Stones
#1 July 10th, 1965
- Vietnam war escalation begins, 150,000 U.S. troops deployed to Vietnam.
- The U.S. would put the first commercial communications satellite called Early Bird into orbit.
- An outfit called Students for a Democratic Society (S-D-S) organized the 1st “Teach-In” to stress non-violent protest and draft card burning.
- The Watts riots raged for 5 days and killed 30 people.
- Lyndon Johnson began his first full term as President.
- Construction of the Gateway Arch in St. Louis completed.
- Malcolm X is assassinated.
FADS and ENTERTAINMENT
- MOVIES: “Beach Blanket Bingo”, “How to Stuff a Wild Bikini” “Dr. Zhivago”, “Sound of Music”
- T.V.: “Get Smart” & “F-Troop”.
- In Houston, Texas, the Harris County Domed Stadium (more commonly known as the Astrodome) opens.
- The Peanuts Gang appear on the cover of Time Magazine.
- Winston Churchill: November 30, 1874 – January 24, 1965 the first person to be recognised as an honorary citizen of the United States.
- Nat King Cole: March 17, 1919 – February 15, 1965 He was one of the first black Americans to host a television variety show.
- T.S. Elliot: September 26, 1888 – January 4, 1965
- Keith Richards states that he came up with the guitar riff for the song in his sleep, waking up in the middle of the night, recording the riff and the words "I can't get no satisfaction" on a cassette recorder and promptly falling back to sleep.He would later describe the tape as: "two minutes of 'Satisfaction' and 40 minutes of me snoring."
- It’s been covered by; Paul Revere & the Raiders, Diana Ross and the Supremes, Aretha Franklin, Devo and Britney Spears and many others.
- The Rolling Stones with their first #1 hit “(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction”
- You’re #1 @ 1 from July 1965.