• President Ronald Reagan becomes the first American chief executive to address a joint session of the British Parliament.
• England & Argentina did battle over the Falklands.
• Time Magazine didn’t name a man of the year, it was Machine of the Year: The Computer.
• John DeLorean got busted for trying to sell coke to keep his failing car company from going under.
• Wayne Williams is convicted of the murdering two children and is sentenced to two consecutive life terms.
FADS and ENTERTAINMENT
• MOVIES: “Tron”, “Blade Runner”, “ET” & “Tootsie”
• T.V.: “Cheers”, “Late Night with David Letterman” “Family Ties” and “Knight Rider”
• Compact Disks would quickly be out selling vinyl records!
• Lawn Chair Larry floated 16,000 feet over Long Beach California,
• Diet Coke was new on the soft drink scene.
• The Weather Channel airs on cable television for the first time.
• On the movie set for the Twilight Zone actor Vic Morrow and 2 child actors die in a helicopter stunt accident.
• John Belushi
• Ingrid Bergman
• Henry Fonda
• A knee-jerk response to The Rolling Stones' 'It's Only Rock 'n Roll (But I Like It)'." The Arrows version was first released as a B-side, but was soon re-recorded and flipped to A-side status on a subsequent pressing of the record.
• Joan Jett saw the Arrows perform "I Love Rock 'n' Roll" on their weekly television series Arrows when she was touring England with The Runaways in 1976.
• She first recorded the song in 1979 with two of the Sex Pistols: Steve Jones and Paul Cook. This first version was not released until 1993 in Flashback. In 1981, Jett re-recorded the song, this time with her band, The Blackhearts.
• Joan Jett and the Blackhearts “I Love Rock & Roll” your #1 @ 1 from March 1982.