• In his first State of the Union Address, U.S. President Lyndon Johnson declares a "War on Poverty", he also signs the Civil Rights Act into law, abolishing racial segregation in the United States.
• Teamsters President Jimmy Hoffa is convicted by a federal jury of tampering with a federal jury in 1962.
• American civil rights movement leader Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. becomes the youngest recipient of the Nobel Peace Prize.
• A Dallas, jury finds Jack Ruby guilty of killing Kennedy assassin Lee Harvey Oswald.
• The Good Friday Earthquake, the most powerful earthquake in U.S. history at a magnitude of 9.2, strikes South Central Alaska.
• The United States State Department says that more than 40 hidden microphones have been found embedded in the walls of the U.S. Embassy in Moscow.
FADS and ENTERTAINMENT
• MOVIES: Bikini Beach”, “Dr. Strangelove” and “My Fair Lady”.
• T.V.: The 1-hour stop-motion animated special Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, based on the popular Christmas song, premieres on NBC.
• The first “Muscle Car” the Pontiac GTO hits the streets, as does the Ford Mustang.
• It would be the first time a British group would top the American music charts in nearly 2 years.
• The Beatles would have a total of 4 #1 songs in 1964.
• They would receive 8 gold records in 1964.
• The Beatles would appear on the Ed Sullivan show twice!
• Your # 1 @ 1 from February 1964 The Beatles “I Want to Hold Your Hand”