• Exxon Valdez struck a reef spilling millions of gallons of oil into Prince William Sound.
• Oliver North Is Convicted In Iran "Contra" Affair.
• The US Government provides a $150 billion bailout for hundreds of saving and loan associations.
• George H.W. Bush became the 41st President.
• After 30 years the Cold War between East and West ends and the Berlin Wall comes down.
FADS and ENTERTAINMENT
• MOVIES: “Batman,” “Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade,” “Lethal Weapon 2,” “Look Who’s Talking” & “Driving Miss Daisy” were on the big screen.
• TV: “The Cosby Show”, “Rosanne”, “Cheers”, “Family Matters”
• Nintendo introduces us to “Game Boy”
• The Energizer Bunny became the drum thumping battery spokesperson.
• Toyota launches the Lexus
• Yugo Cars go bankrupt, Ford buys Jaguar
• Allegations that Baseball’s Pete Rose gambled on the Game became public.
• Lucille Ball: August 6, 1911 – April 26, 1989 She posthumously received the Presidential Medal of Freedom
• Gilda Radner: June 28, 1946 – May 20, 1989 part of the original cast of the NBC sketch comedy series Saturday Night Live, for which she won an Emmy Award. She posthumously won a Grammy for "Best Spoken Word Or Non-Musical Recording" in 1990.
• This is the first single from Tom Petty’s first solo album “Full Moon Fever.”
• The song sends a message of defiance against unnamed forces of difficulty and possibly oppression.
• It was written by Petty and Jeff Lynne who also played bass on the album.
• George Harrison plays acoustic guitar in the song and backing vocals.
• Tom Petty had a terrible cold the day they were recording, so George Harrison boiled a ginger root it and had Petty inhale the ginger steam to open up his sinuses, and then he ran in and did the take.
• This song was number one on the Billboard Mainstream rock hits chart for 5 weeks.
• Here’s solo Tom Petty with “I Won’t Back Down” Your #1 at 1 from April 1989.