• We were stunned at the sight over Cape Canaveral Florida in early 1986 as the space shuttle Challenger exploded 73 seconds after take off killing all 7 astronauts on board.
• The Russians launched the Mir space station into orbit
• The world’s worst nuclear disaster took place at Chernobyl.
• We watched as Al Capone’s secret vault was opened only to find a half bottle of moonshine.
• Mike Tyson becomes the youngest Heavyweight Champion in history.
FADS and ENTERTAINMENT
• MOVIES: “Platoon”, “Top Gun” & “Aliens”.
• T.V.: “The Cosby Show” “Family Ties”, “Cheers”
• Tonight Show host Johnny Carson's good friend occasional guest Tonight Show host, Joan Rivers, started a late night talk show on FOX. He never spoke to her again.
• Peter Gabriel's stop-motion music video for Sledgehammer raised the bar for video production
• Aerosmith and Run DMC mixed rock and hip hop with Walk This Way.
• Microsoft introduces “Windows”
• 1986 was the International Year of Peace.
• “Hands Across America” was an idea to bring attention to famine in Africa & homelessness here in the U.S. Over six million people participated and at 3:00 EST, radio stations across America played the song Hands Across America.
• Donna Reed
• Desi Arnaz
• Cary Grant
• This is the title track of the “Invisible Touch” album the 13th studio by Genesis.
• It by far the most commercially successful album of their career, eventually selling over 15 million copies worldwide.
• This is their only number one song.
• "Invisible Touch" came about during a jam for the second part of "Domino," which happens to be the “B”side of the single. Mike Rutherford played a riff while Collins improvised the line "She seems to have an invisible touch."
• Here’s Genesis with “Invisible Touch” your #1 @ 1 from July 1986.