• Ronald Regan would defeat Carter, but Carter signed a bill creating peacetime draft registration.
• The US was immersed in yellow ribbons due to the Iran Hostage crisis.
• An attempt to liberate those hostages ended in tragedy in the desert 300 miles outside of Tehran, Iran.
• Mt. St. Helen’s in Washington State blew her top killing 57 and spewing ash for hundreds of miles.
• Rock Star Murder: John Lennon was gunned down outside the Dakota in New York City by a “fan” Mark David Chapman. Rock Star Deaths: John Bonham (alcohol poisoning), Bon Scott (drunk, choked on own vomit)
FADS and ENTERTAINMENT
• MOVIES: “9 to 5” “Empire Strikes Back” “Caddyshack” & “Airplane”.
• T.V.: “Dallas,” “Love Boat,” and “The Dukes of Hazzard”
• The “Miracle on Ice” took place during the Winter Olympics in Lake Placid, New York.
• Pac-Man was the hot arcade game.
• Walter Cronkite announces his retirement from the CBS Evening News.
• Computer modem invented.
• CNN becomes the first 24hrs News Station
• 3M begins sales of its latest product Post-It Notes invented by Arthur Fry and Spencer Silver.
• From the hit album Glass Houses.
• The front cover consisted of Joel's real-life modern glass house.
• The song is a cynical look at the music industry as a manager begs the protagonist (Joel) to remain hip for the younger crowd
• The “miracle mile” is a stretch of road (about a mile long) full of various stores in Manhasset, Long Island NY. Joel grew up in Long Island.
• Here’s Billy Joel with It Still Rock & Roll to Me you’re #1 @ 1 from July 1980