ITS STILL ROCK & ROLL TO ME – Billy Joel
#1 July 19th, 1980
- Ronald Regan would defeat Carter, but Carter signed a bill creating peacetime draft registration.
- The US was immersed in yellow ribbons due to the Iran Hostage crisis
- An attempt to liberate those hostages ended in tragedy in the desert 300 miles outside of Tehran, Iran.
- Mt. St. Helen’s in Washington State blew her top killing 57 and spewing ash for hundreds of miles.
- John Lennon was gunned down outside the Dakota in New York City.
FADS and ENTERTAINMENT
- MOVIES: “Mad Max” “Empire Strikes Back” “Caddyshack” & “Airplane”.
- T.V.: That's Incredible! Bosom Buddies Magnum, P.I.
- The “Miracle on Ice” took place during the Winter Olympics in Lake Placid, New York.
- Pac-Man was the hot arcade game.
- Walter Cronkite announces his retirement from the CBS Evening News.
- From the hit album Glass Houses.
- The front cover consisted of Joel's real-life modern glass house.
- The song is a cynical look at the music industry as a manager begs the protagonist (Joel) to remain hip for the younger crowd
- The “miracle mile” is a stretch of road (about a mile long) full of various stores in Manhasset, Long Island NY. Joel grew up in Long Island.
- Here’s Billy Joel with It Still Rock & Roll to Me you’re #1 @ 1 from July 1980