JUMP – Van Halen
#1 February 25, 1984
- Bernie Goetz uses 4 muggers on a NYC subway train for target practice.
- Winter Olympics were in Sarajevo – The summer in Los Angles. The Soviet Union announces that it will boycott the 1984 Summer Olympics in Los Angeles, California
- NASA gets a new space shuttle called “Discovery”
- The last Volkswagen Rabbit rolls off the assembly line.
- US Bell System is broken up.
FADS and ENTERTAINMENT
- MOVIES: “The Terminator” “Amadeus” and “Ghostbusters”.
- T.V: “Miami Vice” and “The Cosby show.”
- “Where’s the beef?” Wendy’s ad campaign that became part of our vocabulary.
- The new Apple McIntosh computer debuts.
- Guess Jeans were also a hot “must have”.
- Donald Duck turned 50.
- Indira Gandhi is assassinated.
- Johnny Weissmuller (Tarzan)
- Yuri Andropov, General Secretary of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union
- Richard Burton
- 1984 is the sixth studio album and the first Van Halen album to be recorded at Eddie Van Halen's home studio, 5150.
- It is the only single the group released in their career to reach number one on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100
- Although the song contains the standard Eddie Van Halen guitar solo, which Eddie claims as his favorite solo he never wrote. This refers to the fact that the producer spliced parts of two different takes to create the one heard in the song.
- According to Daryl Hall of Hall & Oates, "[Eddie] Van Halen told me that he copied the synth part from 'Kiss on My List' and used it in ‘Jump.’ I don't have a problem with that at all."
- Van Halen and “Jump” your #1@1 from February 1984