(JUST LIKE) Starting Over – John Lennon
#1 December 27th, 1980
- An attempt to liberate our hostages ended in tragedy in the desert 300 miles outside of Tehran, Iran.
- Improved relations with Cuba precipitated the Mariel boatlift that brought 10’s of thousands to freedom.
- President Carter signed a bill creating peacetime draft registration
- Gold peaks at $875 per ounce.
- Everybody displayed a Yellow Ribbon in support of the hostages in Iran.
FADS and ENTERTAINMENT
- MOVIES: “Mad Max” “Empire Strikes Back” “Caddyshack” & “Airplane”
- T.V.: “Dallas” (Who Shot JR) “That's Incredible!” “Solid Gold” (prasie to the Solid Gold dancers!) “Magnum, P.I.”
- The hot new arcade game was called Pac-Man
- The “Miracle on Ice” took place during the Winter Olympics in Lake Placid, New York.
- The Chicken McNugget is introduced.
- From the Double Fantasy album the first new recording Lennon had released since 1975.
- John Lennon was gunned down outside the Dakota December 8th in New York City.
- We were still in mourning when John made his final trip to the top…
- “(Just Like) Starting Over” John Lennon. The #1 @ 1 from December 1980.