KEEP ON LOVING YOU – REO Speedwagon
#1 March 21, 1981
- Ronald Regan was sworn in as the 40th President.
- Reagan is shot in the chest outside a Washington, D.C. hotel by John Hinckley, Jr.
- The hostages who had been held in Iran came home
- Space Shuttle Columbia launches the STS-1 mission.
- Diana became the princess of Wales.
- Pope John Paul II is shot and nearly killed by a Turkish gunman, as he enters St. Peter's Square in Vatican City to address a general audience.
- Sandra Day O'Connor, is the first woman appointed to the Supreme Court.
FADS and ENTERTAINMENT
- MOVIES: “Raiders of the Lost Ark” “Chariots of Fire” and “An American Werewolf in London”
- T.V.: Walter Cronkite signs off after nearly 20 years of broadcasting the news and Dan Rather is his replacement. The Walton’s say “Goodnight John Boy” for the last time.
- The stainless steel DeLorean DMC-12 sports car is available.
- Spiked hair was the rage.
- The IBM PC was introduced.
- “Donkey Kong” was the hot video game
- Sony brings the “Walkman” to market.
- Mark David Chapman is sentenced to 20 years to life in prison, after being convicted of murdering John Lennon in Manhattan 8 months earlier.
- From the album Hi Infidelity. It went on to become the biggest selling rock LP of 1981, eventually selling over ten million copies. Six songs from this album hit Billboard charts.
- They took their name from the REO Speed Wagon, a flatbed truck and fire engine, manufactured by the REO Motor Car Company.In 1981.
- The music video was the 17th played on the first day of broadcast of MTV, on August 1.
- The single was certified Platinum for US sales of over 2 million copies.
- REO Speedwagon with “Keep on Loving You”
- The #1@1 from March 1981