• Nixon was re-elected and goes to the Soviet Union…the first president to do so.
• Nixon orders the development of a space shuttle program.
• US forces resume the bombing of North Viet Nam just in time for Christmas.
• The program code for something called “E-Mail” was written
• U.S. airlines begin mandatory inspection of passengers and baggage.
• The Pioneer 10 spacecraft is launched and is the first man-made satellite to leave the solar system.
• Munich Massacre takes place in the Olympic compound during the summer Olympics.
• George Wallace is shot.
• The last executions in Paris, France were guillotined at La Sante Prison.
FADS and ENTERTAINMENT
• MOVIES: “The Godfather” “Deliverance” and “Deep Throat”
• T.V.: Bob Barker hosts the first episode of The Price Is Right on CBS and M*A*S*H began an eleven season run, eight years longer than the Korean War which provided its setting.
• The first scientific hand-held calculator (HP-35) is introduced (price $395).
• Bobby Fisher becomes a Chess Champ.
• The first cellular phone call is made in New York City
• This song is found on the album “Still Bill”
• It’s his first and only number one hit.
• It’s ranked at number 205 on Rolling Stone’s list of the “500 Greatest Songs of All Time.”
• It’s one of only nine songs to have scored No. 1 with versions recorded by two different artists.
• Here’s Bill Withers and “Lean On Me” your #1@1 from July 1972.