• President Johnson declared a “war” on Poverty and signs the Civil Rights Act of 1964 into law, abolishing racial segregation in the United States.
• The Surgeon General reports that smoking may be hazardous to one's health (the first such statement from the U.S. government).
• Jimmy Hoffa is convicted by a federal jury of tampering with a federal jury in 1962.
• A Dallas, Texas jury finds Jack Ruby guilty of killing John F. Kennedy assassin Lee Harvey Oswald.
• The Good Friday Earthquake, the most powerful earthquake in U.S. history at a magnitude of 9.2, strikes South Central Alaska, killing 125 people and inflicting massive damage to the city of Anchorage, Alaska.
FADS and ENTERTAINMENT
• MOVIES: “Bikini Beach”, “Dr. Strangelove” and “My Fair Lady” wins an Oscar
• T.V.: Bewitched, starring Elizabeth Montgomery, premieres on ABC.
• Muhammad Ali beats Sonny Liston in Miami Beach, Florida, and is crowned the heavyweight champion of the world.
• Topless swimsuits & Mini-skirts are fashions cutting edge.
• An action figure for boys- G.I. Joe is introduced.
• The Beatles would end up with 6 songs topping the charts and Beatle-Mania would be fueled by 3 appearances on the Ed Sullivan Show in 1964!
• We even got to see a “Typical Day” in the life of Fab 4 when they’re first movie “Hard Days Night” was released.
• Here’s the Beatles with Love Me Do…Your #1 @ 1 from May 1964.