• The United States returned to space for the first time in 2 years since the Challenger disaster
• The Reverend Jimmy Swaggart was photographed in a series of hook-up with prostitutes.
• Prozac came to market.
• Sonny Bono is introduced as Mayor of Palm Springs.
• A first class stamp now cost 25 cents.
• A new drug Crack appears (A derivative of Cocaine ) and is increasingly found in US Cities.
FADS and ENTERTAINMENT
• MOVIES: “Rain Man”, “Who Framed Roger Rabbit” and “Coming to America”
• T.V.: “Cosby Show” “Growing Pains” & “Murder She Wrote”
• Doppler Radar was invented.
• CD’s outsold vinyl records for the first time.
• Table Tennis became an Olympic Sport.
• Elle Macpherson was the Fashion Icon.
• The big quote was “read my lips no new taxes” from then Presidential Candidate George Bush and Nike’s “Just Do It”
• Roy Orbison
• Devine (Actor)
• Andy Gibb
• Enzo Ferrari
• From the album, Kick. It is the best-selling INXS album, selling more than 7 million copies in the US alone.
• Andrew Farriss said that the famous riff to the song appeared suddenly in his head while waiting for a cab to go to the airport to fly to Hong Kong. He asked the cab driver to wait a couple of minutes while he grabbed something from his motel room. In fact, he went up to record the riff and came back down an hour later with a tape to a very annoyed driver.
• This song is a much more electronic track than most of the band's material before or after.
• The music video combined live action and different kinds of animation. It won five MTV Video Music Awards including Video of The Year and was ranked at number twenty-one on MTV's countdown of the 100 greatest videos of all time.
• This was a throwaway song that became INXS' biggest hit. Andrew Farriss came up with the riff, and Michael Hutchence quickly added some lustful lyrics.
• Here’s Inxs and “Need You Tonight” your #1 @ 1 from January 1988