• President Nixon resigned in disgrace over the Watergate affair only to be pardoned by his successor Gerald Ford.
• Sears Tower in Chicago becomes the worlds tallest building
• The first supermarket check out scanner goes into service.
• The national speed limit was lowered to 55 miles per hour.
• After 84 days in space, the last crew of the temporary American space station Skylab return to Earth
FADS and ENTERTAINMENT
• MOVIES: “Blazing Saddles” Monte Python’s “Holy Grail”, Chinatown & Godfather II
• T.V. : “All In The Family,” “Sanford and Son,” and “Chico and The Man”
• Mood rings and Smiley Face stickers were the latest craze.
• Evil Knievel tried to jump the Snake River Canyon but could only manage a giant nosedive into the water and got 6 million bucks for his trouble.
• The 1974 Mustang II was Motor Trends car of the year.
• Hank Aaron breaks Babe Ruth’s record of 714 home runs.
• Liposuction invented by Giorgio Fischer in Rome, Italy.
• Rock Star Death: Mama Cass (obesity related heart attack)
• Mikhail Baryshnikhov defected the the USA, leaving the Soviet Unon's Bolshoi Ballet behind him.
• While David Niven was at the Oscars podium, live on national television, a streaker (Robert Opal) ran by. David quippped "Isn't it fascinating to think that the only laugh that man will ever get is for stripping and showing his shortcomings?"
• His whole/real name is William Everett “Billy” Preston. Started as a session musician for such artists as Sam Cooke, Ray Charles and The Beatles.
• John, Paul, George & Ringo considered him to be the official “5th” Beatle.
• He was signed to the Beatles Apple records in 1969.
• Preston performed the song on Saturday Night Live - the first musical performance ever on the show.
• Billy Preston hit the top of the charts as a solo act for the very first time with “Nothing from Nothing” your #1@1 from October 1974.