NOTHING FROM NOTHING – Billy Preston
#1 October 19, 1974
• President Nixon resigned in disgrace over the Watergate affair only to be pardoned by his successor Gerald Ford.
• The Symbionese Liberation Army kidnapped newspaper heiress Patty Hearst.
• The first supermarket check out scanner goes into service.
• The nationwide 55-mile an hour speed limit is signed into law.
FADS and ENTERTAINMENT
• MOVIES: “Blazing Saddles” Monte Python’s “Holy Grail”, Chinatown & Godfather II
• Mood rings and Smiley Face stickers were the latest craze.
• Evil Knievel tried to jump the Snake River Canyon but could only manage a giant nosedive into the water and got 6 million bucks for his trouble.
• The 1974 Mustang II was Motor Trends car of the year.
• Hank Aaron breaks Babe Ruth’s record of 714 home runs.
• John, Paul, George & Ringo considered him to be the official “5th” Beatle.
• Billy Preston hit the top of the charts as a solo act for the very first time with “Nothing from Nothing”
• Your #1@1 from October 1974.