• Bernie Goetz uses 4 muggers on a NYC subway train for target practice.
• Vanessa Williams, the first black Miss America loses her crown, because of some 'artsy' nude photos taken several years earlier, were published in Penthouse magazine...
• NASA gets a new space shuttle called “Discovery”
• The last Volkswagen Rabbit rolls off the assembly line.
• US Bell System is broken up.
FADS and ENTERTAINMENT
• MOVIES: “Beverly Hills Cop” “Indiana Jones and the Temple Of Doom” and “Ghostbusters”.
• T.V: “The A-Team” “Family Ties” and “The Cosby Show.” “Dynasty and Dallas” were rival night time soaps.
• “Where’s the beef?” Wendy’s ad campaign that became part of our vocabulary.
• Michael Dell started selling Dell Computers, targeting small businesses and households instead of the high-end consumers like his competitors.
• Guess Jeans were also a hot “must have”. Children were playing with Transformers and Cabbage Patch Kids dolls.
• Indira Gandhi is assassinated.
• Johnny Weissmuller (Tarzan)
• Singer Marvin Gaye (April 2, 1939 - April 1, 1984) was shot and killed by his father on the day before his 45th birthday.
• Richard Burton
• It is the opening track of their 1983 album 90125. This was the group's one and only #1 charting hit.
• Originally it was written as a ballad, not as the rock song that became famous.
• The song's music video received a great deal of airplay on MTV, introducing the revamped Yes lineup and sound to a new generation of fans largely unfamiliar with the band's very different earlier work, which had helped to define the genre of progressive rock.
• According to Trevor Rabin on the DVD Yes Video Hits, he wrote this song in his bathroom (which had very good acoustics), and it was a "particularly long visit.
• Here’s Yes with “Owner of a Lonely Heart” your #1@1 from January 1984.