• Unemployment Rises in the US to 12 million the highest figure since 1941.
• President Ronald Reagan proposes the Strategic Defense Initiative.
• Sally Ride on June 18th becomes first American woman in space on the Space Shuttle Challenger.
• Jim Thorpe regained his 1912 decathlon and pentathlon Olympic Gold Medals, 30 years after his death. They were originally taken from him because it was revealed that he played professional minor league baseball for a season in 1908.
• Korean Air flight 007 was shot down over Soviet airspace without warning.
FADS and ENTERTAINMENT
• MOVIES: “Return of the Jedi”, “Terms of Endearment”, “Flashdance”
• T.V.: “Dallas” “Dynasty” “Magnum PI” and “A-Team”.
• The first mobile phones are introduced to the public by the Motorola Company.
• Microsoft Word is first released.
• Showing off your Swatch watch was the fad!
• Break Dancing made you hip or broke it!
• J. Crew began selling through a mail-order catalogue. "Best Buy" as we know it set up shop.
• The computer mouse was invented.
• Karen Carpenter (eating disorder) The word 'anorexia' entered the American vocabulary.
• Dennis Wilson of the Beach Boys
• Muddy Waters
• This is the lead single from the Pyromania album.
• It’s a tribute to actress Marilyn Monroe.
• Lead Singer Joe Elliot explained that the song is really about “something you can’t ever get your hands on.”
• In 2009 it was named the 13th greatest hard rock song of all time byVH1.
• It was also listed as the No. 17 greatest song of the past 25 years by VH1.
• The song appeared in Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock and in Grand Theft Auto V.
• Here’s Def Leppard with “Photograph”, your #1 @ 1 from June 1983.