• US Shuttle program resumes 2 1/2 years after Challenger disaster.
• A Pan Am 747 exploded in the skies above Lockerbie Scotland, brought down by a terrorist bomb.
• Television evangelist Jimmy Swaggart was photographed in series of hook-ups with prostitutes
• The Antidepressant Prozac introduced which quickly became the market leader for treating depression
• Sonny Bono was took the oath of office as the Mayor of Palm Springs.
FADS and ENTERTAINMENT
• T.V: “The Cosby Show” “Growing Pains” & “Cheers”
• MOVIES: “Rain Man,” “Big,” “Who Framed Roger Rabbit” and “Beetlejuice.”
• CD’s outsold vinyl records for the first time.
• Elle Mcpherson was the fashion icon.
• The first transatlantic fibre optic cable was laid; able to carry 40,000 telephone calls simultaneously.
• Roy Orbison
• Devine (Actor)
• Andy Gibb
• Enzo Ferrari
• This was written and first recorded by Neil Diamond.
• It’s from the album “Labour of Love” which is a collection of cover songs.
• Diamond makes a slight complaint about UB40 misunderstanding the lyrics because of the happy tone to their version. The lyrics are sung from the perspective of someone who finds drinking red wine the only way to forget a lost love.
• UB40 wasn’t even aware that Neil Diamond wrote the song they were only familiar with a reggae version of it recorded in 1969 by Tony Tribe.
• Here’s “Red Red Wine” your #1@1 from October 1988