• From coast to coast, the United States celebrates the 200th anniversary of the Declaration of Independence.
• Jimmy Carter defeats incumbent Gerald Ford, becoming the first candidate from the Deep South to win since the Civil War.
• Israeli Commandos raided an airport in Uganda to free 103 hostages.
• The Supreme Court says that the death penalty is neither cruel nor unusual and is a constitutionally acceptable form of punishment.
• The Viking 1 landed on Mars successfully. (NASA releases the famous Face on Mars photo, taken by Viking 1.)
• The Son of Sam also know as the .44 Caliber Killer, David Berkowitz terrioses NYC from July 1976 until his arrest in August 1977.
• Patty Hearst was found guilty of Bank Robbery.
• A car bomb fatally injures Arizona Republic reporter Don Bolles.
FADS and ENTERTAINMENT
• MOVIES: “Rocky” while “Carrie” & “The Omen”
• The Seattle Seahawks play their first football game.
• The first commercial Concorde flight takes off.
• The advent of the first “Super Computer” the “Cray 1
• IBM introduces the first Laser printer.
• “Apple” becomes a company.
• On the album Fly Like An Eagle
• Miller credits the guitar intro to "Rock 'N Me" as a tribute to the classic song by Free, "All Right Now".
• The song is a playable track on Rock Band 2.
• The Steve Miller Band with “Rock`n Me” your #1 @ 1 from November 1976.