• During a visit to Berlin, Germany, President Ronald Reagan challenges Soviet Premier Mikhail Gorbachev to tear down the Berlin Wall.
• Iran-Contra came to light in November 1986. During the Reagan administration, senior U.S. figures, agreed to facilitate the sale of arms to Iran.
• Prozac hit the market and quickly became the third most prescribed antidepressant. (as of 2007)
• The Iraqis lob a couple of missiles into the USS Stark killing 37 sailors.
• Pi is calculated out to 134 million decimal places with no end in sight.
• It was the year of the “Black Monday” stock market fall.
FADS and ENTERTAINMENT
• Aretha Franklin became the first woman inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame.
• The Simpsons cartoon first appears on The Tracy Ullman Show.
• MOVIES: “Moonstruck”, “Fatal Attraction”, “3 Men & a Baby”, “Dirty Dancing”, “Good Morning Viet Nam” and “Lethal Weapon”.
• More channels came to TV, networks like “Movietime” we know it as “E!” now.
• This was the last year until 2013 with four distinct digits.
• At the movies Eddie Murphy would star in the second installment of “Beverly Hills Cop.”
• The music was written by Harold Faltermeyer, who wrote the score for the film, and Keith Forsey, and the lyrics by Seger.
• The soundtrack would give Bob Seger a #1 hit with “Shakedown.”
• Your #1@1 from August of 1987.