• President Johnson signs the Civil Rights Act into law.
• Jack Ruby is convicted of the murder of Lee Harvey Oswald
• The Summer Olympic Games of the XVIII Olympiad are held in Tokyo, Japan
• The Surgeon General reports that smoking may lead to major health problems including lung cancer.
• Barry Goldwater ran for President.
• Lyndon B. Johnson was Time Magazine’s Man Of The Year.
FADS and ENTERTAINMENT
• The first “Muscle Car” the Pontiac GTO hits the streets, as does the Ford Mustang.
• MOVIES: “My Fair Lady,”” Dr. Strangelove,” and “Bikini Beach” (Director William Asher revealed that the script was originally written for The Beatles. The group had agreed to act in the film but later dropped out as their rapidly growing fame caused their fee to exceed the film's budget.)
• TV: “Bonanza,” “Bewitched,” and “Gomer Pyle”
• “Dr. Strangelove” and “My Fair Lady” wins an Oscar
• The popular toys that year were The Easy Bake Oven, G.I. Joe, Mighty Tonka Dump Truck (made popular due to the elephant stepping on it during a commercial),and Mr. Potato Head
• Sam Cooke (murder, he was apparently drinking and there was a misunderstanding)
• In February 1964 The Beatles would appear on the Ed Sullivan show twice!
• Over 50,000 fans applied for the 728 seats to watch the Fab 4 perform live on the Ed Sullivan Show.
• The Beatles would have a total of 5 #1 songs in 1964.
• They would receive a Grammy as “Best New Artists” in 1964.
• Beatlemania was everywhere.
• The Beatles with “She Loves You” Your #1@1 from March 1964.