• Nixon refused to pony up 500 tapes pertaining to Watergate and then proclaimed that “One year of Watergate was enough”
• The Energy Crisis became so bad that the country went on Daylight Savings Time 4 months early!
• G. Gordon Liddy is found guilty of the Watergate break-ins.
• The national speed limit was lowered to 55 miles per hour.
FADS and ENTERTAINMENT
• MOVIE: Chinatown, Sugarland Express & Blazing Saddles.
• T.V.: “All In The Family,” “Happy Days” “Rhoda” & “Chico & the Man”
• .Universal Product Code or “UPC” code is scanned for the first time to buy a pack of gum
• The post-it note and Liposuction also became known.
• The “Rumble in the Jungle” between Mohammed Ali & George Frazier
• “High Times” & “People” magazines begin publishing.
• Hank Aaron breaks Babe Ruth’s record of 714 home runs.
• Streaking was the #1 fad in 1974.
• Popular toys were G.I. Joe with a Kung Fu grip, Magna Doodle, and Connect Four
• Ed Sullivan,
• Jack Benny
• Mama Cass
• This is one of the most popular songs by singer/songwriter Gordon Lightfoot.
• It’s the follow up to the hit single he had 3 years earlier “If You Could Read My Mind."
• There are rumors that this song was inspired by his then girlfriend, Cathy Smith, later more infamously known for her involvement in the death of John Belushi.
• Lightfoot has commented in interviews that she (Smith) was "the one woman in my life who most hurt me.
• Lightfoot has been referred to as Canada's greatest songwriter. His songs have been recorded by some of the world's most renowned recording artists. In June 2012, he was inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame
• Here’s Gordon Lightfoot with “Sundown” your #1 @ 1 from June 1974