#1 – August 13th,1966
- Inflation grew as part of the effect to fund the war in Vietnam continued.
- The US and USSR continued in their space race to see who would be first to land a man on the moon.
- Anti Vietnam War Protests were going on around the world.
- The Miranda Rights come into being.
- Race riots continues to increase across cities in America.
FADS and ENTERTAINMENT
- MOVIES: “A Man For All Seasons” “Thunderball ” and “Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf?”
- T.V.: Bonanza, The Andy Griffith Show, The Jackie Gleason Show, The Lucy Show, The Red Skelton Show, Bewitched.
- The 8-track was a new-fangled option on many Ford cars.
- Color Television Sets become popular, Pampers create the first disposable Diaper.
- Grammys Awarded: “A Taste Of Honey” Herb Albert is the Record of the Year. Album of the Year was “September of My Years,” Frank Sinatra.
- John Lennon commented that the Beatles were “bigger than Jesus.”
- Stephanie Kwolek invented Kevlar, pound for pound, five times stronger than steel.
- Hotties were Raquel Welch, Barbara Eden, Audrey Hepburn, Sophia Loren, Diana Rigg, Barbara Feldon, Doris Day, Annette Funicello
- Walt Disney
- Montgomery Clift
- Written and recorded by Scottish singer-songwriter Donovan.
- The song was written for Donovan’s future wife Linda Lawrence.
- The lyrics of the song mention not only Superman but also another DC comics superhero, Green Lantern.
- This is Donovan’s only number one single.
- Here’s “Sunshine Superman” your #1 @ 1 from August 1966.