SWEET CHILD O’ MINE – Guns & Roses
SWEET CHILD ‘O MINE - GUNS ‘N ROSES - 1988
Jim Owen -- 01/04/2012
#1 – September 10th, 1988
• The United States returned to space for the first time in 2 years since the Challenger disaster
• The Reverend Jimmy Swaggart was caught with hookers.
• Prozac came to market.
• Sonny Bono is introduced as Mayor of Palm Springs.
• A first class stamp now cost 25 cents.
• Az. Governor Evan Mecham is removed from office.
FADS and ENTERTAINMENT
• MOVIES: “Die Hard”, “Roger Rabbit” and “Good Morning Viet Nam” and Julia Roberts breaks out in “Mystic Pizza.”
• T.V.: “Roseanne” “The Wonder Years” & “Murphy Brown” debuts.
• World’s Fair, Expo `88, opens in Brisbane Australia
• CD’s outsold vinyl records for the first time.
• Roy Orbison
• Devine (Actor)
• Andy Gibb
• Enzo Ferrari
• From thealbum, Appetite for Destruction.
• Slash has been quoted as having a disdain for the song due to its roots as simply a 'string skipping' exercise and a joke at the time.
• Bassist Duff McKagan noted: The thing about 'Sweet Child o mine,' it was written in five minutes. It was one of those songs, only three chords. It's gonna be nothing, it'll be filler on the record.
• In an effort to make "Sweet Child o' Mine" more marketable to MTV and radio stations, the song was cut from 5:56 minutes to 4:12, with much of Slash's guitar solo removed.
• It was also in Rolling Stone's 40 Greatest Songs that Changed the World.
• Guns & Roses and “Sweet Child O’ Mine” your #1 @ 1 from September 1988.