SWEET CHILD O’ MINE – Guns & Roses
#1 – September 10th, 1988
- The United States returned to space for the first time in 2 years since the Challenger disaster
- The Reverend Jimmy Swaggart was caught with hookers.
- Prozac came to market.
- Sonny Bono is introduced as Mayor of Palm Springs.
- A first class stamp now cost 25 cents.
- Az. Governor Evan Mecham is removed from office.
FADS and ENTERTAINMENT
- MOVIES: “Die Hard”, “Roger Rabbit” and “Good Morning Viet Nam” and Julia Roberts breaks out in “Mystic Pizza.”
- T.V.: “Roseanne” “The Wonder Years” & “Murphy Brown” debuts.
- World’s Fair, Expo `88, opens in Brisbane Australia
- CD’s outsold vinyl records for the first time.
- Roy Orbison
- Devine (Actor)
- Andy Gibb
- Enzo Ferrari
- From thealbum, Appetite for Destruction.
- Slash has been quoted as having a disdain for the song due to its roots as simply a 'string skipping' exercise and a joke at the time.
- Bassist Duff McKagan noted: The thing about 'Sweet Child o mine,' it was written in five minutes. It was one of those songs, only three chords. It's gonna be nothing, it'll be filler on the record.
- In an effort to make "Sweet Child o' Mine" more marketable to MTV and radio stations, the song was cut from 5:56 minutes to 4:12, with much of Slash's guitar solo removed.
- It was also in Rolling Stone's 40 Greatest Songs that Changed the World.
- Guns & Roses and “Sweet Child O’ Mine” your #1 @ 1 from September 1988.