THE FLAME – Cheap Trick
#1 – July 9th, 1988
- Iran-Contra Affair: Lieutenant Colonel Oliver North and Vice Admiral John Poindexter are indicted on charges of conspiracy to defraud the United States.
- A small town in Scotland called Lockerbie would become famous for all the wrong reasons as a Pan Am 747 exploded in the skies above, brought down by a terrorist bomb.
- The United States returned to space for the first time in over 2 years since the Challenger disaster.
- Ronald Reagan addresses 600 Moscow State University students, during his visit to the Soviet Union.
- The Reverend Jimmy Swaggart is caught sleeping with prostitutes.
- Az. Governor Evan Mecham is impeached and removed from office
FADS AND ENTERTAINMENT
- MOVIES: Rain Man, Roger Rabbit and a Beetlejuice
- T.V.: “Roseanne” “The Wonder Years” & “Murphy Brown”
- CD’s outsold vinyl records for the first time
- The 1988 Summer Olympics are held in Seoul, South Korea.
- Roy Orbison
- Andy Gibb
- Enzo Ferrari
- The Illinois State Senate has declared April 1 to be "Cheap Trick Day" in the State.
- According to lead vocalist Robin Zander, "The band was very skeptical about performing this song live, because we only liked to perform songs written by us.
- They have often been referred to in the Japanese press as the "American Beatles".
- They would score there first #1 even though they’d been charting songs for 10 years.
- Cheap Trick and The Flame your #1 @ 1 from July 1988.