• Iran-Contra Affair: Lieutenant Colonel Oliver North and Vice Admiral John Poindexter are indicted on charges of conspiracy to defraud the United States.
• A small town in Scotland called Lockerbie would become famous for all the wrong reasons as a Pan Am 747 exploded in the skies above, brought down by a terrorist bomb.
• The United States returned to space for the first time in over 2 years since the Challenger disaster.
• Ronald Reagan addresses 600 Moscow State University students, during his visit to the Soviet Union.
• The Reverend Jimmy Swaggart is caught sleeping with prostitutes.
• Az. Governor Evan Mecham is impeached and removed from office
FADS AND ENTERTAINMENT
• MOVIES: Rain Man, Roger Rabbit and a Beetlejuice
• T.V.: “Roseanne” “The Wonder Years” & “Murphy Brown”
• CD’s outsold vinyl records for the first time
• The 1988 Summer Olympics are held in Seoul, South Korea.
• Roy Orbison
• Andy Gibb
• Enzo Ferrari
• The Illinois State Senate has declared April 1 to be "Cheap Trick Day" in the State.
• According to lead vocalist Robin Zander, "The band was very skeptical about performing this song live, because we only liked to perform songs written by us.
• They have often been referred to in the Japanese press as the "American Beatles".
• They would score there first #1 even though they’d been charting songs for 10 years.
• Cheap Trick and The Flame your #1 @ 1 from July 1988.