THE WAY IT IS – Bruce Hornsby & The Range
#1 – December 13th, 1986
- Space shuttle Challenger explodes after liftoff.
- Iran-Contra Affair: U.S. Attorney General Edwin Meese announces that profits from covert weapons sales to Iran were illegally diverted to the anti-communist Contra rebels in Nicaragua.
- The Nuclear plant at Chernobyl explodes.
- The International Year of Peace.
- “Windows” for computers is introduced, as was the 1st computer virus “Brain”.
- The first federal Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, is observed.
- Halley's Comet reaches its closest point to the Sun, during its second visit to the solar system in the 20th Century.
FADS and ENTERTAINMENT
- MOVIES: “Platoon” “Top Gun” & “Aliens”
- T.V.: “Oprah” “Pee-wee's Playhouse”, “L.A. Law” and “Matlock”
- Nintendo offered us video games to play at home.
- The Fox network popped up on TV
- The Rock & Roll Hall of Fame inducted its first group of honorees: Elvis, Buddy, Chuck, Fats & the Godfather of Soul to the Hall.
- We paid for the privilege of holding “Hands Across America” a human chain across the country the money collected went to fight hunger and homelessness.
- Donna Reed
- Desi Arnaz
- Cary Grant
- Born: Bruce Randall Horny
- Awards: Best New Artist Grammy in 1987 with Bruce Hornsby and the Range, the Best Bluegrass Recording Grammy in 1989, and the Best Pop Instrumental Grammy in 1993.
- He also collaborated with the Grateful Dead and was a part time member of the band from September 1990 to April 1992.
- An improvisational Pianist
- Bruce Hornsby and The Range…”The Way It Is” Your #1 @ 1 from December 1986