• Lyndon Johnson began his first full term as President.
• An American astronaut would step out of his spacecraft for the first time
• The United States put our first full combat troops in a small Asian country called Viet Nam
• War protests heated up with the first of the “Draft Card Burnings”.
• The Watts riots raged for 5 days and killed 30 people.
• This was the first year the U.S. quit using silver in its coins.
• The first commercial communications satellite is launched.
FADS and ENTERTAINMENT
• MOVIES: “Dr. Zhivago” & “Sound of Music”
• T.V.: “Green Acres” & “Batman”
• The Beatles made their 2nd movie “Help!” and they’re Saturday morning cartoon show big hits
• Bob Dylan goes electric.
• Malcolm X is assassinated.
• Winston Churchill
• Nat King Cole
• T.S. Elliot
• The lyrics are taken almost verbatim from the book of Ecclesiastes, as found in the King James Version
• The song is notable for being one of a few instances in popular music in which a large portion of scripture is set to music, other examples being The Melodians' "Rivers of Babylon", Sister Janet Mead's "The Lord's Prayer", and U2's "40".
• The band that would prove to be every bit as influential as the Lads from Liverpool.
• This would be the second time the Byrds would knock the Beatles off the top of the charts that year.
• The Byrds and “Turn Turn Turn” (To Everything There is a Season)” your #1 @ 1 from December 1965.