TURN TURN TURN – The Byrds
#1 December 4th, 1965
- Lyndon Johnson began his first full term as President.
- An American astronaut would step out of his spacecraft for the first time
- The United States put our first full combat troops in a small Asian country called Viet Nam
- War protests heated up with the first of the “Draft Card Burnings”.
- The Watts riots raged for 5 days and killed 30 people.
- This was the first year the U.S. quit using silver in its coins.
- The first commercial communications satellite is launched.
FADS and ENTERTAINMENT
- MOVIES: “Dr. Zhivago” & “Sound of Music”
- T.V.: “Green Acres” & “Batman”
- The Beatles made their 2nd movie “Help!” and they’re Saturday morning cartoon show big hits
- Bob Dylan goes electric.
- Malcolm X is assassinated.
- Winston Churchill
- Nat King Cole
- T.S. Elliot
- The lyrics are taken almost verbatim from the book of Ecclesiastes, as found in the King James Version
- The song is notable for being one of a few instances in popular music in which a large portion of scripture is set to music, other examples being The Melodians' "Rivers of Babylon", Sister Janet Mead's "The Lord's Prayer", and U2's "40".
- The band that would prove to be every bit as influential as the Lads from Liverpool.
- This would be the second time the Byrds would knock the Beatles off the top of the charts that year.
- The Byrds and “Turn Turn Turn” (To Everything There is a Season)” your #1 @ 1 from December 1965.