#1 – February 7, 1970
• The National Guard fire on and kill four protestors at Kent State University in Ohio
• Apollo 13 mission to the moon was abandoned…The “successful failure” of space exploration.
• The voting age is lowered from 21 to 18
• 100-thousand people demonstrate in Washington D.C. against the Vietnam War
• The first Earth Day is celebrated.
FADS and ENTERTAINMENT
• MOVIES: “Patton,” “M*A*S*H,” “Airport” and “Love Story”
• T.V.: Marcus Welby,MD, Flip Wilson, Here’s Lucy, Ironside, Hawaii Five-O
• Guys were longing for… Rachel Welch, Barbara Eden, Diana Rigg, Barbara Feldon and Jane Fonda
• The Kansas City Chiefs won the Super Bowl and the cost of a Super Bowl ad $78,000
• The Isle of Wight Festival takes place in England. 600-thousand people attend the largest rock festival of all time. Artists include Jimi Hendrix, The Who, The Doors, Chicago, ELP, Jethro Tull to name a few.
• Paul McCartney announces that the Beatles have disbanded…Simon and Garfunkel release their final album together, Bridge Over Troubled Water. The Title Track won the Grammy for song of the year.
• Jimi Hendrix (choked on drug induced vomit/barbiturate overdose)
• Janis Joplin (heroin overdose)
• Sonny Liston
• This Dutch rock band is from the Hague, the Netherlands
• This song has been featured in numerous films, television shows and commercials, and covered dozens of times by artists around the world.
• The band's name was inspired by an Eric Clapton track called "Electric Blue"
• Here’s “Shocking Blue and “Venus” your #1 @ 1 from February 1970.